May 22, 2017

Cultural Tourism

Ilkiding’a
Welcome to Ilkiding’a village at the foot of Mount Meru where the sounds of rivers, birds and people are in harmony. Ilkiding’a is a village only 7 km north of Arusha town with its neighboring Ilboru, it has played a role in the history of Arusha. The Chiefdom ship was strong before colonization; the Lutheran missionaries from Germany and the Chief of Waarusha that time sabaya agreed in 1904 to build the first church and school in Ilboru. From that time on wards the co-operation between the church and the chiefs was settled.

Youngsters were invited to study at the boarding school (Ilboru). In 1907 the first young men on Simeon Kokan was chosen by the Waarusha to become Chief; under his leadership Churches, schools, roads and court house were built. And for that the main road leading to the Arusha International Conference Centre is named in his memory.

To do:
A view into the culture of the Wa-arusha,
• A warm welcome in a local household
• Visits to craftsmen and a traditional healer
• A walk through the farms where people produce cash crops and vegetables to supply Arusha town.
• A rest at impressive viewpoints, overlooking Arusha town and watching a traditional Maasai Cultural dance group.
• Tasted a traditional food prepared by a special Maasai Women group.

Mulala Cultural Tourism
Come and visit the mulala village, a typical rural setting nestled on the southern slope of Mt. Meru surrounded by spectacular scenery. The mulala village is a typical rural setting, lying 1,600 – 1,700 meter above sea level. The people of mulala grow coffee, bananas, vegetables and fruits. They also keep livestock for milk and beef.

To do:
A tour of Mama Anna’s quaint cheese making
• Guide Tour Criss–Crossing Coffee and banana farms.
• Walking through the forest reserve or the Marisha River banks and enjoying the view of Mt. Meru and Kilimanjaro.
Access: From Arusha town follow the main road to Moshi just drive 17 km to Leganga and ten follow the sign board of Mulala cultural tourism only 7 km from Leganga.